Moving Agent 3.2 to Windows 10
Col
2019-04-05 00:19:32 UTC
I have been using Agent since the mid 90's and currently use v3.2 in
Windows 7 after moving all the files through earlier Win platforms.

Can my current Agent 3.2 be moved successfully to Windows 10 64Bit?
Looking forward to your help.

Col
Capuchin
2019-04-05 04:01:22 UTC
Post by Col
I have been using Agent since the mid 90's and currently use v3.2 in
Windows 7 after moving all the files through earlier Win platforms.
Can my current Agent 3.2 be moved successfully to Windows 10 64Bit?
Looking forward to your help.
Col
It can, but you have to be careful to not make the same mistake I did.
I really, really, really wish I could tell you what the mistake was,
but I don't have a clue -- all I know is it no longer lets me click on
a link in an e-mail and automatically open Chrome, all sorts of
formatting is screwed up, and it's constantly telling me there's a
mime error (whatever that is).

I suspected 3.2 simply wasn't compatible enough, so I purchased 8. It
was a waste of money because it acts exactly the same and introduces a
lot of quirks I don't understand and can't figure out.
Scott
2019-04-05 17:22:50 UTC
Post by Capuchin
Post by Col
I have been using Agent since the mid 90's and currently use v3.2 in
Windows 7 after moving all the files through earlier Win platforms.
Can my current Agent 3.2 be moved successfully to Windows 10 64Bit?
Looking forward to your help.
Col
It can, but you have to be careful to not make the same mistake I did.
I really, really, really wish I could tell you what the mistake was,
but I don't have a clue -- all I know is it no longer lets me click on
a link in an e-mail and automatically open Chrome, all sorts of
formatting is screwed up, and it's constantly telling me there's a
mime error (whatever that is).
I suspected 3.2 simply wasn't compatible enough, so I purchased 8. It
was a waste of money because it acts exactly the same and introduces a
lot of quirks I don't understand and can't figure out.
And it's not supported anyway with a well known bug that stops you
setting killfiles that expire after a period of time.
Barry Schwarz
2019-04-05 19:03:00 UTC
On Fri, 05 Apr 2019 18:22:50 +0100, Scott
Post by Scott
And it's not supported anyway with a well known bug that stops you
setting killfiles that expire after a period of time.
The fix for the filter problem was posted ages over two years ago.
Remove del for email
Scott
2019-04-05 19:19:42 UTC
Post by Scott
And it's not supported anyway with a well known bug that stops you
setting killfiles that expire after a period of time.
The fix for the filter problem was posted ages over two years ago.
I know about that but I was making a value for money comment for Mr
Capuchin.
Ralph Fox
2019-04-05 06:35:40 UTC
Post by Col
I have been using Agent since the mid 90's and currently use v3.2 in
Windows 7 after moving all the files through earlier Win platforms.
Can my current Agent 3.2 be moved successfully to Windows 10 64Bit?
Looking forward to your help.
Yes, Agent 3.2 can be moved to Windows 10 64Bit.

There is one restriction: In Windows 10, your Agent data folder should
*NOT* be anywhere inside "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)".

You will already have this same restriction in Windows 7. XP was the
last version of Windows without this restriction.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Capuchin
2019-04-05 20:39:22 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Col
I have been using Agent since the mid 90's and currently use v3.2 in
Windows 7 after moving all the files through earlier Win platforms.
Can my current Agent 3.2 be moved successfully to Windows 10 64Bit?
Looking forward to your help.
Yes, Agent 3.2 can be moved to Windows 10 64Bit.
There is one restriction: In Windows 10, your Agent data folder should
*NOT* be anywhere inside "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)".
You will already have this same restriction in Windows 7. XP was the
last version of Windows without this restriction.
When using Win10 for the first time, I quickly learned to create a
"Program Files (User)" folder and put all older programs into that.
Ralph Fox
2019-04-05 21:25:08 UTC
Post by Capuchin
Post by Ralph Fox
Yes, Agent 3.2 can be moved to Windows 10 64Bit.
There is one restriction: In Windows 10, your Agent data folder should
*NOT* be anywhere inside "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)".
You will already have this same restriction in Windows 7. XP was the
last version of Windows without this restriction.
When using Win10 for the first time, I quickly learned to create a
"Program Files (User)" folder and put all older programs into that.
You must have gone directly from XP (or earlier) to Win10.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Capuchin
2019-04-05 21:49:44 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Capuchin
Post by Ralph Fox
Yes, Agent 3.2 can be moved to Windows 10 64Bit.
There is one restriction: In Windows 10, your Agent data folder should
*NOT* be anywhere inside "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)".
You will already have this same restriction in Windows 7. XP was the
last version of Windows without this restriction.
When using Win10 for the first time, I quickly learned to create a
"Program Files (User)" folder and put all older programs into that.
You must have gone directly from XP (or earlier) to Win10.
Yes. I helped a friend install 7, and after that horror, I held off
'upgrading' mine until it became more or less manadatory.
Ten thousandandone
2019-04-06 03:46:31 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Col
I have been using Agent since the mid 90's and currently use v3.2 in
Windows 7 after moving all the files through earlier Win platforms.
Can my current Agent 3.2 be moved successfully to Windows 10 64Bit?
Looking forward to your help.
Yes, Agent 3.2 can be moved to Windows 10 64Bit.
There is one restriction: In Windows 10, your Agent data folder should
*NOT* be anywhere inside "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)".
You will already have this same restriction in Windows 7. XP was the
last version of Windows without this restriction.
Hello Ralph
Thanks for the prompt response.

I copied the Agent 3 Folder and all sub-Folders to my new Win 10 m/c.
Checked that there were no other Agent files in Program Files etc. and
also looked in the Virtual Store.
I ran the Agent.exe from Agent 3 Folder (the Agent.ini is in the Data
Folder), saw the Agent Flash screen go by, but the operation stalled
at an Agent Window screen with no panels and timed out.

Can you offer further help.

Regards

Col
Ralph Fox
2019-04-06 05:51:39 UTC
Post by Ten thousandandone
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Col
[...]
Odd. It works fine here.
Post by Ten thousandandone
Can you offer further help.
I would need more information...
Post by Ten thousandandone
I copied the Agent 3 Folder and all sub-Folders to my new Win 10 m/c.
A. I cannot see where you put them, and that may be very important.

Where on the new Win 10 pc did you put Agent 3 Folder and all
sub-Folders?

And does the Agent 3 Folder or its sub-folders contain AGENT.INI
and Agent's .DAT and .IDX files? Is Agent's Data folder one of
those sub-folders?
Post by Ten thousandandone
Checked that there were no other Agent files in Program Files etc.
B. I don't know what "other Agent files" means. Other than *which*
files?
Post by Ten thousandandone
and
also looked in the Virtual Store.
C. Please clarify. Does this mean you looked in the Virtual Store
*on the Win 10 pc* *before* running Agent?

There would not be any Agent stuff in the Virtual Store on the
new Windows 10 pc until *after* you run Agent.
Post by Ten thousandandone
I ran the Agent.exe from Agent 3 Folder (the Agent.ini is in the Data
Folder)
D. Is the Data folder (with AGENT.INI) a sub-folder of the folder where
agent.exe is? Or did you put the Data folder somewhere else on the
Win 10 pc?

(1) If you put the Data folder somewhere else, then you may not be
able to run Agent from the agent.exe in the Agent 3 program folder.

You need to create a shortcut to run Agent with; and configure
the shortcut to tell Agent where to find its Data folder.

To configure the shortcut, see one of these pages in the
Agent 3.2 help file

* Index >> Command Line >> Using a Command Line Parameter
* Index >> Multi-user configuration

(2) If the Data folder is in the Agent 3 folder and the Agent 3 folder
is in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" [see 'A' above],
then you may have problems. [Does 'B' above mean other than the
Data sub-folder and its files?]
Post by Ten thousandandone
saw the Agent Flash screen go by, but the operation stalled
at an Agent Window screen with no panels and timed out.
E. This sounds like some sort of file access problem, but it
is impossible to tell what without more details.

E.1 Check you have agent.xrs and that it is the exact same version
as agent.exe.

Version 3.2 of agent.exe needs version 3.2 of agent.xrs to be in
the same folder. It will not work with version 3.3 of agent.xrs.

Version 3.3 of agent.exe needs version 3.3 of agent.xrs to be in
the same folder. It will not work with version 3.2 of agent.xrs.

E.2 Check the permissions on the files in Agent's data folder.

(1) Check that *none* of these files are read-only.

(2) Did you get a UAC prompt when copying files including Agent's
data files to the new pc?

If so, the data files are in the wrong place. You need to
copy Agent's data files to somewhere that does not need Admin
permission.

It is OK to put the Agent *program* folder somewhere that
needs Admin permission. The Agent *program* folder contains
agent.exe, agent.xrs, agent.chm, and various *.cod files.
But in this case the Data folder *must* go somewhere else.

(3) Right-click on the Data folder, select properties, and
select the "Permissions" tab.
(i) Is your Windows account listed in the "group or user
names" box?
(ii) When you select the line with your account, is there
a check-mark next to "Full control" in the
"Permissions" box?
(iii) Click on the "Advanced" button. Is the "Owner"
shown as your Windows account, or as something else?

(4) Repeat (3) for AGENT.INI and other files in the Agent data
folder.
--
Kind regards
Ralph

😕 🤔 🤷 🛈⍰
h***@hope.com
2019-08-13 21:16:52 UTC
Hi All, It is me again

Ages and ages ago I had a link to this problem but being a dum blond I have lost it

Okay the problem, I think I'm correct in the address book you could Group a load of emails and put
them in a folder, then you could call that folder with all the emails in it and just paste it in the
to line so you could BCC them

I'm I dreaming or not

So if any one can give me the heads up on that I would grateful

Hope
Marc Wilson
2019-08-15 17:53:45 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Hi All, It is me again
Ages and ages ago I had a link to this problem but being a dum blond I have lost it
Okay the problem, I think I'm correct in the address book you could Group a load of emails and put
them in a folder, then you could call that folder with all the emails in it and just paste it in the
to line so you could BCC them
I'm I dreaming or not
So if any one can give me the heads up on that I would grateful
What you need to do is to create a mailing list.

Then you can put contacts in.

Tick the box that says: "Use this text to hide the email addresses.."
and give your list a name.

When you pick that list for an email recipient, it will hide the details
of the recipients.
--
We must believe in luck, for how else can we explain the success of those we don't like?
- Jean Cocteau
h***@hope.com
2020-01-22 12:21:53 UTC
Hi All

I'm getting emails with a green link in it saying click this link

When I do that it opens a page up saying

Sorry no application is associated with url type "https"
to configure url launching use menu option tools/options

Well i have looked in there and it does say
text/https html,htm,https open with firefox

If it is a html then it opens all okay

So I do not know what to do next

This is with windows ten pro

many thanks

blonde
Dennis Lee Bieber
2020-01-22 17:11:16 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Well i have looked in there and it does say
text/https html,htm,https open with firefox
Which branch?

MIME Types is separate from URL Types.

There is no MIME type "text/https" since https is a protocol, the MIME
type is "text/html" identifying HyperText Markup Language as the content of
the file.

URL Types doesn't have "text/...", nor does it have file extensions
associated, it just has "https URL: Hypertext <something or other> with
Privacy"... And on my system, the "Use Registry Settings" radio button is
selected.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
***@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
h***@hope.com
2020-01-22 18:34:25 UTC
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by h***@hope.com
Well i have looked in there and it does say
text/https html,htm,https open with firefox
Which branch?
MIME Types is separate from URL Types.
There is no MIME type "text/https" since https is a protocol, the MIME
type is "text/html" identifying HyperText Markup Language as the content of
the file.
URL Types doesn't have "text/...", nor does it have file extensions
associated, it just has "https URL: Hypertext <something or other> with
Privacy"... And on my system, the "Use Registry Settings" radio button is
selected.
Hi Dennis,
Thank you for getting back to me

I have now set it up as you say
text/html with htm,hml open with Firefox

When I click the link now it opens fire fox all okay BUT
firefox just sits there and does not go to the url.

Any help please

Regards Hope
================================
Puffer Belly
================================
h***@hope.com
2020-01-22 21:41:00 UTC
Post by Puffer Belly
Firefox is probably blocking it because it considers this URL unsafe.
Sorry it is safe with no problem
Post by Puffer Belly
Check the protection shield button near the URL and Firefox will show
you the reasons.
Sorry do not get what you mean
Near what URL? in forte agent?
If not then there is no url in firefox, as I say it will not load it
Post by Puffer Belly
================================
Dennis Lee Bieber
2020-01-22 20:10:58 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
I have now set it up as you say
text/html with htm,hml open with Firefox
This is still rather unclear...

For
Tools/Options/URL and MIME Settings/MIME Types
when you highlight text/html, describe each field by name and contents.

On mine the list shows

text/html htm,html Firefox HTML Document

Settings for...
Extensions: htm,html
Application: <blank>
<firefox icon> Firefox HTML Document
[x] Display when inline
[ ] Display when attachment

For
Tools/Options/URL and MIME Settings/URL Types
I have (once I select https: in the URL: dropdown)

[x] Enable highlighting and launching
[ ] Share settings with the http protocol
[ ] Remove URL prefix when launching

(*) Use windows registry settings
( ) Use custom settings (below)

{and the fields under Custom Settings are ghosted out}
Post by h***@hope.com
When I click the link now it opens fire fox all okay BUT
firefox just sits there and does not go to the url.
I'd suspect the windows association is incorrect -- but it turns out my
ftype routes to internet explorer, so I doubt that is the problem.
h***@hope.com
2020-01-22 22:04:35 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
When I click the link now it opens fire fox all okay BUT
firefox just sits there and does not go to the url.
I'd suspect the windows association is incorrect -- but it turns out my
ftype routes to internet explorer, so I doubt that is the problem.

Okay hope this is correct
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
tools/Options/URL and MIME Settings/MIME Types
when you highlight text/html, describe each field by name and contents.
text/html htm,html Firefox

=====================================
Settings for...
Extensions: htm,html
Application:"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" "%1"

===================================
I have in URL http: URL:HyperText Transferprotocol
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
{and the fields under Custom Settings are ghosted out}
under Application "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" "%1"

Under URLs
type of mouse click "double click"
[ ] copy to clip board
[x] force web browser to open a single window
how to interpret a ***@domain URL: "prompt for action"

Search for message URLs in
[ ] current folder
[ ] newsgroup folders
[x] all folders
[x] all news servers
[x] prompt before checking servers
default download folder "inbox"

Hope this all helps
many thanks for your help so far
Hope
=====================================
Dennis Lee Bieber
2020-01-23 01:21:21 UTC
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Settings for...
Extensions: htm,html
Application:"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" "%1"
This implies either:

32-bit Windows with 32-bit Firefox OR
64-bit Windows with 64-bit Firefox

It is also rather bare -- you might want to examine
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Command_Line_Options

Note that in my situation, the application box is EMPTY
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
I have (once I select https: in the URL: dropdown)
I have in URL http: URL:HyperText Transferprotocol
[x] Enable highlighting and launching
[ ] Share settings with the http protocol
[ ] Remove URL prefix when launching
( ) Use windows registry settings
(* ) Use custom settings (below)
And here I'd suggest trying with Use Windows registry settings
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
{and the fields under Custom Settings are ghosted out}
under Application "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" "%1"
If it means anything, the ghosted out contents in mine show

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -osint -url "%1"

although I no longer have a 32-bit Firefox installed on 64-bit Win10. But
notice the options specified...
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Under URLs
type of mouse click "double click"
[ ] copy to clip board
[x] force web browser to open a single window
Search for message URLs in
Most of those are irrelevant -- they apply to clicking on references to
other messages, things like

h***@hope.com
2020-01-23 12:30:53 UTC
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Settings for...
Extensions: htm,html
Application:"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" "%1"
32-bit Windows with 32-bit Firefox OR
64-bit Windows with 64-bit Firefox
Yes it is 64 bit windows with 64 bit firefox

=====================================
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
I have (once I select https: in the URL: dropdown)
I have in URL http: URL:HyperText Transferprotocol
[x] Enable highlighting and launching
[ ] Share settings with the http protocol
[ ] Remove URL prefix when launching
( ) Use windows registry settings
(* ) Use custom settings (below)
And here I'd suggest trying with Use Windows registry settings
when i use that it comes back with "no file association for https

=================================
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Under URLs
type of mouse click "double click"
[ ] copy to clip board
[x] force web browser to open a single window
Search for message URLs in
Most of those are irrelevant -- they apply to clicking on references to
other messages, things like
Okay I have now uninstalled both firefox and agent.

Re installed firefox and Agent

When I started Agent I did not out in any details at all like email password etc

I then went to make a new email nothing in the too or from field

I then put in the text part of the body
https://fred.com

I then set up the following

Tools/Options/URL and MIME Settings/URLs
type of mouse "single click/double for composition window
[ ]copy to clip board
[x] force web browser to open in single window
how to interpret a name @domain "prompt for action
search for message urls in
[ ] current folder
[ ]news group
[x] all folders
[x] all news serve4rs
[x]prompt before checking servers
default download folder "inbox2
[ ] open new window in agent to launch message urls
===============================
Tools/Options/URL and MIME Settings/URLs types
url "https: url:hypertext tranfer protocol with privacy
[x] enable highlighting and launching
[ ] shar settings with the http protocol
[ ] remove url prefix when lauching
how to launch the url
[ ] use windows registry settings
[x] use custom settings below
application "c:\program files\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe

[ ] use dde

=====================================
Tools/Options/URL and MIME Settings/mime types
text/html htm.html firefox
settings for text/html
extensions "htm.html
application "c:\program files\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe
firefox icon firefox
[x] display when inline
[ ] display when attachment
====================================
Pressed the
https://fred.com

BINGO it all works

Now I have the problem to how to get all my settings like
1...email and password settings

2...all my settings for the icons at the top of the screen

3.....all my folder setups

4....all my emails back

I know how to put the data folder back etc BUT that might up set the apple kart

Any help on the above please

Many Many thanks for all your help so far

Regards

Hope
===========================
Dennis Lee Bieber
2020-01-23 20:20:42 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
when i use that it comes back with "no file association for https
Which implies that somehow no application has updated the registry to
handle https (and likely http too).

I'll confess that my registry shows Internet Explorer for https. But
does show Firefox as the command... I'm going to include the result of
"export"ing the http and https registry trees. Suggest your next step is to
check your registry -- in particular, the shell/open/command string.

-=-=-=-
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http]
@="URL:http"
"AppUserModelID"="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default"
"EditFlags"=dword:00000002
"FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ieframe.dll,-903"
"Source Filter"="{E436EBB6-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe,1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\Extensions]
".ASF"="{187463A0-5BB7-11D3-ACBE-0080C75E246E}"
".WM"="{187463A0-5BB7-11D3-ACBE-0080C75E246E}"
".WMA"="{187463A0-5BB7-11D3-ACBE-0080C75E246E}"
".WMV"="{187463A0-5BB7-11D3-ACBE-0080C75E246E}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell]
@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open]
"CommandId"="IE.File"
"DontReturnProcessHandle"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe\" -osint -url \"%1\""
"DelegateExecute"="{17FE9752-0B5A-4665-84CD-569794602F5C}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\ddeexec]
@=""
-=-=-
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https]
@="URL:https"
"FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ieframe.dll,-904"
"Source Filter"="{E436EBB6-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe,1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\shell]
@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\shell\open]
"CommandId"="IE.Protocol"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe\" -osint -url \"%1\""
"DelegateExecute"="{17FE9752-0B5A-4665-84CD-569794602F5C}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\shell\open\ddeexec]
@=""

-=-=-=-

What does (Win10)
Settings/Apps/Default apps
show under "Web Browser"?

Mine shows Firefox -- but strangely, Firefox is NOT available as a
choice if I click on the setting. I get choice of Chrome, IE, Edge, and
"check the app store". Somewhere in the past an installation of Firefox
must have set the web browser setting.
Post by h***@hope.com
Okay I have now uninstalled both firefox and agent.
Re installed firefox and Agent
When I started Agent I did not out in any details at all like email password etc
BINGO it all works
Now I have the problem to how to get all my settings like
1...email and password settings
Reinstalling Agent should NOT have affected your personal settings as
the INI file should have been in your data directory, and the reinstalled
executable should have found that directory and used the existing INI file.
Post by h***@hope.com
2...all my settings for the icons at the top of the screen
3.....all my folder setups
4....all my emails back
I know how to put the data folder back etc BUT that might up set the apple kart
Well -- my first approach would be to find out just where Agent is now
storing user data, compared to where it had been storing user data. If
those locations are different it implies you used to have a non-standard
configuration.

See Agent Help, [Contents] Preferences/Agent's Directories and Files (and
then from that page, the link to "How Agent Determines the Data Folder")
h***@hope.com
2020-01-24 11:35:47 UTC
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by h***@hope.com
when i use that it comes back with "no file association for https
Which implies that somehow no application has updated the registry to
handle https (and likely http too).
What does (Win10)
Settings/Apps/Default apps
show under "Web Browser"?
Mine shows Firefox -- but strangely, Firefox is NOT available as a
choice if I click on the setting. I get choice of Chrome, IE, Edge, and
"check the app store". Somewhere in the past an installation of Firefox
must have set the web browser setting.
Yes mine does now BUT i did not have the choice of firefox, I had to reinstall Firefox then it did
show.
I did google this and it seams that if you do a upgrade from 7 to 10 then it will not show
=====================
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by h***@hope.com
Okay I have now uninstalled both firefox and agent.
Re installed firefox and Agent
When I started Agent I did not out in any details at all like email password etc
BINGO it all works
Now I have the problem to how to get all my settings like
1...email and password settings
Reinstalling Agent should NOT have affected your personal settings as
the INI file should have been in your data directory, and the reinstalled
executable should have found that directory and used the existing INI file.
I did complete uninstall Agent including program files/agent and user/xxx/appdata/roaming/forte
Then all ref to agent in the regedit
===========================
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by h***@hope.com
2...all my settings for the icons at the top of the screen
3.....all my folder setups
4....all my emails back
I know how to put the data folder back etc BUT that might up set the apple kart
Well -- my first approach would be to find out just where Agent is now
storing user data, compared to where it had been storing user data. If
those locations are different it implies you used to have a non-standard
configuration.
No it is as default on install
I let it install as default BUT did not put any information in it
I then went to tools/options and set it all up as you said and it all work okay
I then took a snap shot on all the settings for the urls etc
Then renamed the forte folder as safe
Then I copied the old forte folder and pasted it back in and then went and altered the urls as
from the pictures and BINGO I have all my settings back and it works
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
See Agent Help, [Contents] Preferences/Agent's Directories and Files (and
then from that page, the link to "How Agent Determines the Data Folder")
Dennis I cannot thank you enough for all the time you have spent with me (a dum blonde ) over this

Kind Regards

Hope
h***@hope.com
2020-02-19 22:00:05 UTC
Hi All

I used to get email from AOL.com with no problem
Just said get email and wham it went and got it

BUT now when i say get email it says

scanning for email from AOL.com

Takes Ages

then when it has done that it starts to download any emails

BTW this in Agent

Thanks

Hope
h***@hope.com
2020-02-21 09:13:18 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Hi All
I used to get email from AOL.com with no problem
Just said get email and wham it went and got it
BUT now when i say get email it says
scanning for email from AOL.com
Takes Ages
then when it has done that, it starts to download any emails
BTW this is in Agent
Thanks
Hope
Hello

No one got any ideas on this then?

Hope

===========================
KenW
2020-02-21 12:34:34 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Post by h***@hope.com
Hi All
I used to get email from AOL.com with no problem
Just said get email and wham it went and got it
BUT now when i say get email it says
scanning for email from AOL.com
Takes Ages
then when it has done that, it starts to download any emails
BTW this is in Agent
Thanks
Hope
Hello
No one got any ideas on this then?
Hope
===========================
Antivirus scanning ? Did you get a new one or update. There may be a
setting in Agent, but haven't looked in years, look in Help

KenW
h***@hope.com
2020-02-22 08:49:59 UTC
Post by KenW
Post by h***@hope.com
Post by h***@hope.com
Hi All
I used to get email from AOL.com with no problem
Just said get email and wham it went and got it
BUT now when i say get email it says
scanning for email from AOL.com
Takes Ages
then when it has done that, it starts to download any emails
BTW this is in Agent
Thanks
Hope
Hello
No one got any ideas on this then?
Hope
===========================
Antivirus scanning ? Did you get a new one or update. There may be a
setting in Agent, but haven't looked in years, look in Help
KenW
Yes looked in avg but nothing

The strange thing is I have two email accounts with AOL on agent
***@aol
***@aol

Now the xxx one gets emails straight the way
but the zzz one has to scan them first then download

hope
=========================
Ralph Fox
2020-02-23 06:45:07 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
The strange thing is I have two email accounts with AOL on agent
Now the xxx one gets emails straight the way
but the zzz one has to scan them first then download
That sounds like the zzz one has many more emails left on the server
than the xxx one does. For the zzz one, the server sends Agent a
very lo-o-ong list of all emails on the server and Agent has to scan
through the very lo-o-ong list looking for any emails which are new.
Post by h***@hope.com
Yes looked in avg but nothing
Specific details are always good, such as:

(a) Is Agent's data folder excluded from AVG scanning or not?

(b) Is Agent's connection to the email server excluded from AVG email scanning?

(c) Are the two email accounts in the same instance of Agent,
or in two separate programs or two separate instances of Agent?
And if they are in separate programs or separate instances of Agent,
then
c.i) Is answer (a) the same for both?
Are both data folders excluded from AVG scanning?
c.ii) Is answer (b) the same for both?
--
Kind regards
Ralph
h***@hope.com
2020-02-24 09:31:03 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by h***@hope.com
The strange thing is I have two email accounts with AOL on agent
Now the xxx one gets emails straight the way
but the zzz one has to scan them first then download
On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 19:45:07 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

Many thanks for getting back to me Ralph
Post by Ralph Fox
That sounds like the zzz one has many more emails left on the server
than the xxx one does.
No sorry not the case, I have logged into the account and deleted ALL emails so none left on the
server
===============================
Post by Ralph Fox
For the zzz one, the server sends Agent a
very lo-o-ong list of all emails on the server and Agent has to scan
through the very lo-o-ong list looking for any emails which are new.
Should not send list , as I say all deleted on AOL server
================================
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by h***@hope.com
Yes looked in avg but nothing
Sorry about that Ralph
===========================
Post by Ralph Fox
(a) Is Agent's data folder excluded from AVG scanning or not?
YES
========================
============================
Post by Ralph Fox
(c) Are the two email accounts in the same instance of Agent,
Yes they are on the same instance of Agent
===================================
Post by Ralph Fox
or in two separate programs or two separate instances of Agent?
And if they are in separate programs or separate instances of Agent,
then
c.i) Is answer (a) the same for both?
Are both data folders excluded from AVG scanning?
c.ii) Is answer (b) the same for both?
I have also set protection to off in AVG and Zone Alarm

I even uninstalled AVG and Zone Alarm to make certain.

Many thanks for your time Ralph

Regards

Hope
Dennis Lee Bieber
2020-02-24 15:57:57 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Should not send list , as I say all deleted on AOL server
If you had Agent configured for "leave mail on server", then Agent
still has to reconcile ITS list of messages that it thinks were left on the
server with the actual messages still there. That may involve Agent going
-- one at a time -- "is message # still available?"

Agent seems to have only one real setting for LMOS -- "don't leave" or
"always leave"; I didn't see any option for "delete after /n/ days" or
"delete when deleted from trash" (I ignore the option for "until retrieved
from both..." since I have the potential to get email via two clients on my
desktop -- I've been using Pandora for 2 years now, when Eudora's root
certificate problem became a pain, but since the Hermes group has released
a new root certificate library for Eudora that is mitigated; but Pandora
handles UTF8 which Eudora was never really set up for -- along with a cell
phone and a tablet... so "both" is not applicable. Pandora is set up to
delete from server after either 1 day or when deleted from trash).
Ralph Fox
2020-03-09 06:01:49 UTC
You said that Agent says this:

scanning for email from AOL.com

Does Agent actually say this?

Scanning for new email messages from AOL.com

If so, you might like to read this discussion, where someone
else fixed the same problem:

<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/jkjv2hzRyp4/ri7sQOgjFQAJ>

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Failing that, we would need to see a verbose debug log file of Agent
retrieving email.

1. Close Agent. While Agent is closed, AGENT.INI. In the [Debugging]
section of AGENT.INI, change VerboseLog=0 to VerboseLog=1

2. If the "Tools" pull-down menu does not have these two
entries at the bottom
"Debug Log to AGENT.LOG"
"View Debug Log Options"
then:
2.1 Dismiss the "Tools" pull-down menu
2.2 Press Ctrl+Shift+D
2.3 Look again.

3. In "View Debug Log Options", make sure that all the
options are UNchecked.

4. To create a debug log file of Agent retrieving email

4.1 Turn on "Debug Log to AGENT.LOG"

4.2 Use "Action >> Get New Email Special" to get email
only from the account *without* the problem.

4.3 When that finishes, use "Action >> Get New Email Special"
to get email only from the account *with* the problem.

4.4 When that finishes, make sure you turn OFF "Debug Log to AGENT.LOG".

5. Look for the file "agent.log" in Agent's data folder.

6. Open the "agent.log" file in a Notepad or another text editor.
Copy and paste the contents into a reply.

7. In normal use, make sure that "Debug Log to AGENT.LOG" is
turned OFF so your Agent data folder does not fill up with
the debug log file.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
h***@hope.com
2020-11-11 21:48:06 UTC
Hi all. hope you are keeping well

I think I ask this before BUT cannot find it any where

On tools/options/tool bar you can set what you want showing

Also under tools/options you can set loads of stuff in there.

Now here is what I want where does forte store all those settings?

I have set up a new computer with agent on it with basic settings as is

I do not want to transfer all the old data folder to the new computer.

All I want is the options and tool bar settings so that I can transfer over to the new computer with
out having to set it all up again

Many Thanks people

Hope
KenW
2020-11-11 22:19:53 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Hi all. hope you are keeping well
I think I ask this before BUT cannot find it any where
On tools/options/tool bar you can set what you want showing
Also under tools/options you can set loads of stuff in there.
Now here is what I want where does forte store all those settings?
I have set up a new computer with agent on it with basic settings as is
I do not want to transfer all the old data folder to the new computer.
All I want is the options and tool bar settings so that I can transfer over to the new computer with
out having to set it all up again
Many Thanks people
Hope
Settings > Navigation & Menus > Tool Bars

KenW
h***@hope.com
2020-11-12 14:46:25 UTC
Post by KenW
Post by h***@hope.com
Hi all. hope you are keeping well
I think I ask this before BUT cannot find it any where
On tools/options/tool bar you can set what you want showing
Also under tools/options you can set loads of stuff in there.
Now here is what I want where does forte store all those settings?
I have set up a new computer with agent on it with basic settings as is
I do not want to transfer all the old data folder to the new computer.
All I want is the options and tool bar settings so that I can transfer over to the new computer with
out having to set it all up again
Many Thanks people
Hope
Settings > Navigation & Menus > Tool Bars
KenW
Hi KenW

Sorry to say Ken you have got the wrong end of the stick.
Post by KenW
Settings > Navigation & Menus > Tool Bars
Yes I know how to alter and set new tool bars and Alter all optitions
etc

What I want is WHERE all those setting are saved in the Agent Folders
OR dat files.
So I can transfer then to the new computer
DO you under stand now

Sorry I'm Just a Dum Blonde Ken

Hope
B***@13of9.com
2020-11-12 15:30:49 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Post by KenW
Post by h***@hope.com
Hi all. hope you are keeping well
I think I ask this before BUT cannot find it any where
On tools/options/tool bar you can set what you want showing
Also under tools/options you can set loads of stuff in there.
Now here is what I want where does forte store all those settings?
I have set up a new computer with agent on it with basic settings as is
I do not want to transfer all the old data folder to the new computer.
Just copy Agent.ini to the new computer making sure that both instances of
Agent are shut down.
Hope
n***@given.com
2020-11-12 15:39:34 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
So I can transfer then to the new computer
I have successfully done this many times over the years. Most of the
settings are in AGENT.INI, in the \data subfolder.

If you have agent installed in its own directory (ie, NOT in "Program
Files", then all you have to do is to copy the entire directory over
to the new computer wholesale.

Making sure that the download location on the new computer is the same
drive letter and folder.

(In my case, I use an external disk for the download target, in my
case, Drive N:. So I make sure that on the new computer, the external
disk is also set to be N:, then I don't have to change a thing.)

Fire up Agent from the new computer, and everything is exactly as you
left it. All in all, about 10 minutes to do it.
h***@hope.com
2020-11-12 19:46:06 UTC
Post by n***@given.com
Post by h***@hope.com
So I can transfer then to the new computer
I have successfully done this many times over the years. Most of the
settings are in AGENT.INI, in the \data subfolder.
If you have agent installed in its own directory (ie, NOT in "Program
Files", then all you have to do is to copy the entire directory over
to the new computer wholesale.
Making sure that the download location on the new computer is the same
drive letter and folder.
(In my case, I use an external disk for the download target, in my
case, Drive N:. So I make sure that on the new computer, the external
disk is also set to be N:, then I don't have to change a thing.)
Fire up Agent from the new computer, and everything is exactly as you
left it. All in all, about 10 minutes to do it.
Hi
Post by n***@given.com
I have successfully done this many times over the years. Most of the
settings are in AGENT.INI, in the \data subfolder.
Let me get this correct
If in my new computer with agent I have set up new folders "under new
folders"
Also made filters.

If I copy the agent.ini file from my old sytem and install it in the
new data folder will the new agent.ini not delete all my folders and
filters on my new agent that i setup?
Post by n***@given.com
If you have agent installed in its own directory (ie, NOT in "Program
Files", then all you have to do is to copy the entire directory over
to the new computer wholesale.
so agent is installed as default to "Program files" then the data
folder is under user/username/appdata/roaming/forta
are you then saying copy the agent folder from the program files
folder and put it in the NEW program files agent folder?
=================================
Do you know in the agent.ini file where the ref to the tool bar
settings are etc

Many thanks for your help

Hope
g***@aol.com
2020-11-12 22:09:16 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
so agent is installed as default to "Program files" then the data
folder is under user/username/appdata/roaming/forta
are you then saying copy the agent folder from the program files
folder and put it in the NEW program files agent folder?
Exactly. Copy the whole folder and it will run anywhere as a guest,
even from a thumb drive. I put my download directory on that drive too
so the whole thing is portable. You may have to juggle the drive ID so
they line up but that is a minor deal.
Ralph Fox
2020-11-13 05:33:08 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Let me get this correct
If in my new computer with agent I have set up new folders "under new
folders"
Also made filters.
If I copy the agent.ini file from my old sytem and install it in the
new data folder will the new agent.ini not delete all my folders and
filters on my new agent that i setup?
It can make quite a mess of things, but I don't think it will
actually delete the folders and filters. But depending on the
differences between the old and new Agents databases, you might
end up with some of these:
* Folders moved into an "Imported Folders" desk.
* The wrong folders being treated as the Inbox, Drafts, Outbox,
Sent, Trash, and/or Junk folders.
* Folders renamed.
Post by h***@hope.com
Do you know in the agent.ini file where the ref to the tool bar
settings are etc
The Agent help file has information about where the toolbar settings are.

[Agent 4.1 - 8.0] Help >> Index >> .INI file >> AGENT.INI >> [Toolbars]
[Agent 4.0 ] Help >> Index >> .INI file >> [Toolbars]
[Agent 3.0 - 3.3] Help >> Index >> INI file >> [Toolbars]
[Agent 1.7 - 2.0] Help >> Index >> .INI file >> [Toolbars]
--
Kind regards
Ralph
h***@hope.com
2020-11-13 16:42:53 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Do you know in the agent.ini file where the ref to the tool bar
settings are etc
The Agent help file has information about where the toolbar settings are.
[Agent 4.1 - 8.0] Help >> Index >> .INI file >> AGENT.INI >> [Toolbars]
[Agent 4.0 ] Help >> Index >> .INI file >> [Toolbars]
[Agent 3.0 - 3.3] Help >> Index >> INI file >> [Toolbars]
[Agent 1.7 - 2.0] Help >> Index >> .INI file >> [Toolbars]
Hi Ralph,

Hope you are keeping well

Yes I have done that and you are correct WOW what a mess it made.

Will have to look in the agent.ini file, not got my head round that
bit yet under tools BUT there is hope "sorry about pun" for me yet

I know I did this YEARS ago and made a template for a basic setup if I
installed on another computer later on.
It just put all the options and toolbar settings in .

Any way thanks to all for all you help

Hope

==================================
KenW
2020-11-12 17:32:48 UTC
Understood, I have no idea

KenW
Arthur T.
2020-11-11 22:58:26 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Now here is what I want where does forte store all those settings?
If it's like the much older Agents, try agent.ini. Remember: Never
touch agent.ini while Agent is running.
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com
t***@tom.com
2020-12-18 21:27:00 UTC
Hi All

I have a gmail account that I can log onto with fire fox web page no problem

But when I put in the pop server details it comes back with this error

"server gmail rejected your username and password
(auth) username and password not accepted

I know for a fact that the user name and password are correct

So what is stopping me getting connected with fort agent ?

Many thanks

Tom
Ralph Fox
2020-12-19 02:22:58 UTC
Post by t***@tom.com
I have a gmail account that I can log onto with fire fox web page no problem
But when I put in the pop server details it comes back with this error
"server gmail rejected your username and password
(auth) username and password not accepted
I know for a fact that the user name and password are correct
So what is stopping me getting connected with fort agent ?
Gmail does not want you to use your main Google account password in
your email program. Google considers this to be less secure than
using an app password.

<https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials>

There are two ways to fix this, when using Agent.

1. You can turn on "Less secure app access" in your Google account
settings. Google will turn this off automatically from time to
time, and Agent will again lose access to Gmail.

<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255>

2. Or, you can use a Google "app password" in Agent, in place of your
main Google account password.

<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833>

2-Step-Verification must be turned on in your Google Account
before you can create an app password. You can turn off
2-Step-Verification afterwards and the app password will still
work.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
P***@nospam.invalid
2020-12-19 15:05:16 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by t***@tom.com
[...]
Instead of an app password, what about using a "security key"?
I know nothing about them but from what I understand it sounds like a
thumbdrive you can move from one computer to another, thereby using
Agent for gmail accounts without the risk of getting locked out all
the time. Sounds handy if you use Agent with an external drive and
move it from one computer to another. But.... I haven't tried it and
have no idea.
With an app password, don't you have to use it with only one computer?

Phantman
Arthur Conan Doyle
2020-12-19 15:22:04 UTC
Post by P***@nospam.invalid
With an app password, don't you have to use it with only one computer?
App passwords used to work across devices, but the latest versions are device
specific.
Ralph Fox
2020-12-19 18:48:06 UTC
Post by P***@nospam.invalid
Instead of an app password, what about using a "security key"?
I know nothing about them but from what I understand it sounds like a
thumbdrive you can move from one computer to another, thereby using
Agent for gmail accounts without the risk of getting locked out all
the time. Sounds handy if you use Agent with an external drive and
move it from one computer to another. But.... I haven't tried it and
have no idea.
A "security key" is a form of 2-Step Verification.

<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6103523>

To use this with an email program, your email program itself would
need to support using a "security key" for 2-Step Verification.
It would be a mistake to assume that Agent had support.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
P***@nospam.invalid
2020-12-20 18:01:16 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
A "security key" is a form of 2-Step Verification.
<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6103523>
To use this with an email program, your email program itself would
need to support using a "security key" for 2-Step Verification.
It would be a mistake to assume that Agent had support.
My mistake was assuming Agent even needed to have support. lol!
Nothing I've been reading, about security keys and 2 step
verification, mention that. Now I'm surprised even an "app password"
will work. Soooo.... can I assume there's no way my prefered
hardware/software/mail provider configuration will ever work?

In a nutshell, my preference is to use Agent with more than one Gmail
account AND on more than one computer.

For awhile, keeping Agent on an external drive worked fine by just
moving the drive around. But now it looks like I'll need to either
give up Agent or give up Gmail or give up using more than one
computer. (and I won't be giving up Agent). oh! and one more thing. I
don't want my data stored in some cloud somewhere.

I'm thinkin' I'll choose to keep Agent and Gmail (with an app
password). And, if I can't use it on more than one computer, I might
as well move Agent/data to an internal drive

Am I missing anything??
B***@13of9.com
2020-12-19 05:30:38 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Hi All
I have a gmail account that I can log onto with fire fox web page no problem
But when I put in the pop server details it comes back with this error
"server gmail rejected your username and password
(auth) username and password not accepted
I know for a fact that the user name and password are correct
So what is stopping me getting connected with fort agent ?
Many thanks
Tom
I have a couple of gmail accounts, an MSN account and others which are all
forwarded to my ISP email address which I don't give out to anyone. No
logging in involved.
P***@nospam.invalid
2020-12-20 18:24:07 UTC
Post by B***@13of9.com
I have a couple of gmail accounts, an MSN account and others which are all
forwarded to my ISP email address which I don't give out to anyone. No
logging in involved.
Actually, that's what I did temporarily when I was first locked out of
a gmail account. It solved all my immediate technical headaches but it
brought on some non-technical issues that are specific to me
personally.
But for doing what I want to do, it worked fine technically. Although
I did wonder if gmail would continue to forward my email if I were
ever locked out of that account. I'm guessing they would but...
-shrug- ... wouldn't be the first time I've guessed wrong.
f***@server2.com
2021-02-23 16:46:11 UTC
Hi

Anyone can help me Please

How to set up agent to get/send emails with tiscali and talktalk?

I keep getting no response from server smtp.tiscall.co.uk

I then set it up for different log in and get

unable to negotiate a sll connection

Please could some one show me the correct settings

Also is tiscall the same as talktalk ?

Many thanks to all

fred
Barry Schwarz

Remove del for email
h***@hope.com
2020-01-22 21:37:22 UTC
Post by Barry Schwarz
If you don't know the sender, you should not click the link.
If you do know the sender, call him and ask him what he is trying to
do.
I do know the sender and it is safe.

It is a link to a pdf file

==============================
blonde
Nick
2020-01-23 09:16:09 UTC
On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 12:21:53 +0000, in
Post by h***@hope.com
Hi All
I'm getting emails with a green link in it saying click this link
When I do that it opens a page up saying
<snip>

Hope,

Try copying and pasting the URL from the message (in Agent) into your
Firefox browser, and see if Firefox will open it that way.

That might clarify whether the problem is in Agent or in Firefox.

--
Nick <mailto:***@pobox.com>

For those who have trouble remembering the words for the song '99 Bottles of
Beer on the Wall', somewhere on the Internet there's a page with the
complete lyrics: all 100 verses!

How on earth did humanity ever survive before we invented the Internet?
h***@hope.com

Yes I have done that and yes firefox opens it all okay
Ten thousandandone
2019-04-07 03:48:51 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Col
I have been using Agent since the mid 90's and currently use v3.2 in
Windows 7 after moving all the files through earlier Win platforms.
Can my current Agent 3.2 be moved successfully to Windows 10 64Bit?
Looking forward to your help.
Yes, Agent 3.2 can be moved to Windows 10 64Bit.
There is one restriction: In Windows 10, your Agent data folder should
*NOT* be anywhere inside "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)".
You will already have this same restriction in Windows 7. XP was the
last version of Windows without this restriction.
Hello Ralph
Thank you for the detailed recovery message re: Agent 3 on my Win10 .

After running through the first parts of your solution, I realised
that I had introduced some problems into my set-up with the multi
attempts to move Agent 3.
I reverted to my initial backup of Win 10 (taken immediately after the
install) and copied the Agent 3 Directory to c:\ on Win10, made a
desktop shortcut and Bingo... Agent 3 is running well.

Many thanks for your patience in helping an 81 year old Newbie

Kind Regards

Col
Ralph Fox
2021-02-24 08:02:34 UTC
Post by f***@server2.com
Also is tiscall the same as talktalk ?
Tiscali is an Italian ISP and telco.
Beginning in 2004, Tiscali sold off many of its regional subsidiaries.
Tiscali sold off its UK subsidiary in 2009.
If you think you are a UK tiscali customer, you have long been a TalkTalk customer.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiscali#Sales_and_acquisitions>
Post by f***@server2.com
I then set it up for different log in and get
unable to negotiate a sll connection
If TalkTalk has upgraded its SSL requirements to use only TLS 1.2 for encryption,
then you will need to make a small config change in Agent to enable TLS1.2.

Close Agent, then edit AGENT.INI.
In the "[Online]" section of AGENT.INI, change the setting
"AllowedSSLProtocols" from 0 to 2688.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Ralph Fox
2021-02-25 08:05:15 UTC
Post by f***@server2.com
How to set up agent to get/send emails with tiscali and talktalk?
For _sending_ emails...

TalkTalk -- see <Loading Image...>

You _must_ make the change in AGENT.INI, or else you will get an SSL error.

If you are running on Windows XP, you will still get an SSL error.
You need a later version of Windows than XP.

Tiscali -- see <Loading Image...>

You _must_ make the change in AGENT.INI, or else you will get an SSL error.

If you are running on Windows XP, you will still get an SSL error.
You need a later version of Windows than XP.

If you get no response from server smtp.tiscall.co.uk, then
put "smtp.talktalk.net" in the 'Host Name' box instead.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
f***@freds.com
2021-04-05 10:08:35 UTC
Hi

I have this problem with Forta Agent

All as been working fine for ages BUT just in the past two days I have
this fault come up

"connection closed unexpectedley by server"

I can send emails all okay BUT cannot get emails

The host company is Hostpapa they say they cannot find any fault
there end at all and must be with Forta Agent.

Thank you

Freds
s***@a.computer.com
2021-04-10 08:30:21 UTC
Post by f***@freds.com
Hi
I have this problem with Forta Agent
All as been working fine for ages BUT just in the past two days I have
this fault come up
"connection closed unexpectedley by server"
I can send emails all okay BUT cannot get emails
The host company is Hostpapa they say they cannot find any fault
there end at all and must be with Forta Agent.
Thank you
Freds
It's possible it is a dropped connection at your router or your ISP's
server. Do you experience excessive delays / timeouts when accessing
websites via your browser?
Looks like you may be using Virgin Media. THey advertise lots of
bandwidth but have a poor reputation.
Eric Stevens
2021-04-10 10:33:53 UTC
Post by s***@a.computer.com
Post by f***@freds.com
Hi
I have this problem with Forta Agent
All as been working fine for ages BUT just in the past two days I have
this fault come up
"connection closed unexpectedley by server"
I can send emails all okay BUT cannot get emails
The host company is Hostpapa they say they cannot find any fault
there end at all and must be with Forta Agent.
Thank you
Freds
It's possible it is a dropped connection at your router or your ISP's
server. Do you experience excessive delays / timeouts when accessing
websites via your browser?
Looks like you may be using Virgin Media. THey advertise lots of
bandwidth but have a poor reputation.
I've had this kind of problem several times over the years. Mostly it
cures itself but sometimes they have fixed it by giving me a new user
name.
--
Regards,

Eric Stevens
f***@server2.com
2021-05-14 13:44:04 UTC
Hi

I have downloaded version 8

I want to pay for the serial number for it BUT no where on forte dite
can i see how to buy this

Please help
KenW
2021-05-14 14:35:41 UTC
Post by f***@server2.com
Hi
I have downloaded version 8
I want to pay for the serial number for it BUT no where on forte dite
can i see how to buy this
Please help
Look closer
https://www.forteinc.com/agent/order-form.php

KenW
f***@server2.com
2021-05-14 17:04:05 UTC
Post by KenW
Post by f***@server2.com
Hi
I have downloaded version 8
I want to pay for the serial number for it BUT no where on forte dite
can i see how to buy this
Please help
Look closer
https://www.forteinc.com/agent/order-form.php
KenW
Sorry did not explain my self I have the version 7 with lic number

I download the version 8 trial and want the serial number for it
But when I fill in the details to get and paid for the serial it comes
back with "we Have a problem contact support"

I contacted them BUT NO ONE GOT BACK

So I'm stuck
Dennis Lee Bieber
2021-05-14 15:21:03 UTC
Post by f***@server2.com
I want to pay for the serial number for it BUT no where on forte dite
can i see how to buy this
Really?

The second entry in the "Agent 8" dropdown is "Buy Agent 8".

https://www.forteinc.com/agent/order-form.php
https://www.forteinc.com/agent/order.php
f***@server2.com
2021-05-14 16:59:42 UTC
On Fri, 14 May 2021 11:21:03 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by f***@server2.com
I want to pay for the serial number for it BUT no where on forte dite
can i see how to buy this
Really?
The second entry in the "Agent 8" dropdown is "Buy Agent 8".
https://www.forteinc.com/agent/order-form.php
https://www.forteinc.com/agent/order.php
I do not want to purchase the full version it is the upgrade version
form 7 to 8

Where you put in the name of the person and serial number comes back
with "we have a problem contact support"

BUT nothing happens
KenW

KenW
f***@server2.com
6 days is that enough time?
Jim H
2021-05-14 18:50:40 UTC
On Fri, 14 May 2021 17:59:42 +0100, in
Post by f***@server2.com
I do not want to purchase the full version it is the upgrade version
form 7 to 8
You pretty much "buried the lead" on that.
Post by f***@server2.com
Where you put in the name of the person and serial number comes back
with "we have a problem contact support"
BUT nothing happens
Are you sure you're eligible for an upgrade from 7 to 8? To be
eligible you must have Agent 7.2 purchased after Dec 24, 2013.
Otherwise you need to buy a NEW Agent 8.
Jim H
f***@server2.com
2021-05-14 19:01:56 UTC
Post by f***@server2.com
Where you put in the name of the person and serial number comes back
with "we have a problem contact support"
BUT nothing happens
Are you sure you're eligible for an upgrade from 7 to 8? To be
eligible you must have Agent 7.2 purchased after Dec 24, 2013.
Otherwise you need to buy a NEW Agent 8.
No I think I have mislead all of you

I have the version 7 with Lic key

I want to upgrade it to version 8

I can buy a new key for $19 ( NOT FREE UP GRADE) OR buy full version

BUT where do I go on the site to get a NEW key for version 8 OR do I just put a new key into my old
version and it upgrade it to version 8

I just cannot find out how to get the new key
Jim H
2021-05-15 14:41:49 UTC
Post by f***@server2.com
Where you put in the name of the person and serial number comes back
with "we have a problem contact support"
BUT nothing happens
Are you sure you're eligible for an upgrade from 7 to 8? To be
eligible you must have Agent 7.2 purchased after Dec 24, 2013.
Otherwise you need to buy a NEW Agent 8.
No I think I have mislead all of you
I have the version 7 with Lic key
I want to upgrade it to version 8
I can buy a new key for $19 ( NOT FREE UP GRADE) OR buy full version
Are you sure? Not all Ver 7 releases are eligible for the $19 upgrade.
As I said before, you have to have ver 7.2 (that's SEVEN POINT TWO,
not just plain 7) bought AFTER Dec 24, 2013 to get the $19 upgrade,
otherwise you need to purchase a new copy of Ver 8.
Post by f***@server2.com
BUT where do I go on the site to get a NEW key for version 8 OR do I just put a new key into my old
version and it upgrade it to version 8
A new key doesn't turn Ver 7 into Ver 8.
Post by f***@server2.com
I just cannot find out how to get the new key
You simply aren't going to answer the questions that determine whether
you're eligible for a reduced cost upgrade, are you? So I suggest you
buy a new FULL copy of Version 8. Here's how to do it.

Go to https://www.forteinc.com/agent/download.php and download a copy
of Agent 8. It will be good for a 30-day trial unless you buy a new
registration key for it.

To buy a key, go to https://www.forteinc.com/agent/order-form.php and
pay $29 for that new FULL copy and if you've entered a valid email
address correctly, Forte will email a key to you to make the 30-day
trial permanent. If you don't receive a new key fairly quickly, look
in your spam folder.

When you get the new key, write it down legibly and put it in a safe
place. Triple check that you've written it down correctly. Make sure
you can tell "0" (the number zero) from "O" (the letter "oh").

Install Agent 8 if you haven't already installed it.

Enter the new key in Agent. Do that by clicking "Help" and then look
for something about a registration key. Enter it carefully and double
or even triple check before clicking to enter it.

You're on your own when it comes to setup. It should work right from
the start if you install it over the older Ver 7.

I've upgraded and installed new versions a number of times with no
problem, but a wise person will back up anything he doesn't want to
lose before installing over the top of an existing installation.

Good luck.
Jim H
f***@server2.com
2021-05-15 15:10:46 UTC
Post by Jim H
You simply aren't going to answer the questions that determine whether
you're eligible for a reduced cost upgrade, are you? So I suggest you
buy a new FULL copy of Version 8. Here's how to do it.
Yes I will do that , I have got the version 7.2 installed on my other computer
Post by Jim H
Are you sure? Not all Ver 7 releases are eligible for the $19 upgrade.
As I said before, you have to have ver 7.2 (that's SEVEN POINT TWO,
not just plain 7) bought AFTER Dec 24, 2013 to get the $19 upgrade,
otherwise you need to purchase a new copy of Ver 8.
How I read it was if you bought it AFTER Dec 24, 2013 you got a FREE version
BUT if not and you had lic key you good upgrade to version 8 for $19

Thanks for the detailed info anyway.

Still NOTHING back from Forte

=====================================

==================================
n***@nada.com
2021-06-29 03:09:06 UTC
Post by Jim H
Are you sure? Not all Ver 7 releases are eligible for the $19 upgrade.
As I said before, you have to have ver 7.2 (that's SEVEN POINT TWO,
not just plain 7) bought AFTER Dec 24, 2013 to get the $19 upgrade,
otherwise you need to purchase a new copy of Ver 8.
How I read it was if you bought it AFTER Dec 24, 2013 you got a FREE version
BUT if not and you had lic key you good upgrade to version 8 for $19
ANd you are correct. From the Forte site:
As a registered user of any Agent version, you are entitled to a
reduced-cost $US 19.00 upgrade to the current Agent version. Once you
pay the upgrade fee, you are entitled to free minor upgrades for that
release stream.

I've had Agent since the first version and the latest version has
always been an upgrade fee if you have ANY licensed verion.
==================================
Arthur T.
2021-05-16 04:51:22 UTC
Post by Jim H
Are you sure? Not all Ver 7 releases are eligible for the $19 upgrade.
That doesn't appear to be the case. The upgrade page
<https://www.forteinc.com/agent/upgrade.php> says: "As a registered
user of any Agent version, you are entitled to a reduced-cost $US
19.00 upgrade to the current Agent version." The way I read that is
that if I wanted to upgrade my registered 1.93, I'd qualify for the
$19 price.

The upgrade form <https://www.forteinc.com/agent/upgrade-form.php>
suggests that the OP is correct (in a subsequent post) in that, "If
you purchased Agent 7.2 (new or upgrade order) on or after December
24th, 2013 you are considered a registered Agent 8.0 user and
entitled to a free Agent 8.0 upgrade."
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com
Ralph Fox
2021-05-14 21:05:54 UTC
Post by f***@server2.com
I do not want to purchase the full version it is the upgrade version
form 7 to 8
Where you put in the name of the person and serial number comes back
with "we have a problem contact support"
BUT nothing happens
1. Did you contact support, or did you wait for something more to
happen on that page?

2. If you followed the "contact support" link, which of the
"Contact Us" options did you use?

3. Have you also tried Agent's "Post support question via email" to
ask for support in buying an upgrade?

Your posts about "ver 8" were posted into the middle of an unrelated thread,
as shown on these web site copies of this newsgroup

GG: <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/48pPLUf6oZk>
Narkive: <https://alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.narkive.com/itGg3ZCE/moving-agent-3-2-to-windows-10>
NovaBBS: <https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2247&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2247>

That is because you used the "Reply" or "Follow up" button to start your
new "ver 8" topic, instead of using the "New Usenet Post" button.

For a new topic you should always use the "New Usenet Post" button, not
Ralph
lisa
2021-05-16 18:49:56 UTC
some users have 'personal' text behind the -- near the end of their
message. I think it's an Agent option, but were does it hide and how
do I use it?
TIA
Ralph Fox
2021-05-16 19:26:03 UTC
Subject: --
If you are starting a new topic, please use "New Usenet Post"
and not "Reply" to start composing your message.
Arthur Conan Doyle
2021-05-16 22:08:05 UTC
Post by lisa
some users have 'personal' text behind the -- near the end of their
message. I think it's an Agent option, but were does it hide and how
do I use it?
It's called a signature. You can have as many as you like.

Tools / Options / Posting Messages / Signatures

People use them for various reasons. Sometimes to advertise a cause, sometimes
it's a famous quote they identify with, etc. Traditionally no more than 2 or 3
lines at most.

Usenet: The world's first (and best) social network.
lisa
2021-05-18 09:30:40 UTC
Post by Arthur Conan Doyle
Post by lisa
some users have 'personal' text behind the -- near the end of their
message. I think it's an Agent option, but were does it hide and how
do I use it?
It's called a signature. You can have as many as you like.
Tools / Options / Posting Messages / Signatures
I looked at it, but couldn't figure it out.
All I had to do was to click first on the add box to get it working.
Thanks for shaking my brain a little bit more awake.
d***@invalid.net
2021-05-24 01:25:52 UTC
Post by lisa
some users have 'personal' text behind the -- near the end of their
message. I think it's an Agent option, but were does it hide and how
do I use it?
TIA
Well, the "--" is really --(space) and it is a to well-behaved
software not to include the lines below it in followup. Sometimes it
works.
--
Derald
USDA Zone 9b
Peninsular Florida
d***@invalid.net
2021-05-19 17:54:36 UTC
Post by f***@server2.com
Hi
I have downloaded version 8
I want to pay for the serial number for it BUT no where on forte dite
can i see how to buy this
Please help
Don't do it. If your present version works for you, save your oney
orr spend it on reliabe software.
--
Derald
USDA Zone 9b
Peninsular Florida
Puffer Belly
2021-05-20 12:45:16 UTC
I've used Agent for 15 years, always the newest version at the time. and
Agent has been very reliable for binary and text newsgroups. I do find
it hard to imagine why anyone would use it for email, though. If a
newsgroup reader is what anyone wants, Agent is a good choice, but do
not use it for posting binary files as there are better tools that are
free for that purpose.
d***@invalid.net
2021-05-20 21:34:45 UTC
Post by Puffer Belly
I've used Agent for 15 years, always the newest version at the time. and
Agent has been very reliable for binary and text newsgroups. I do find
it hard to imagine why anyone would use it for email, though. If a
newsgroup reader is what anyone wants, Agent is a good choice, but do
not use it for posting binary files as there are better tools that are
free for that purpose.
Here's the thing, though, I've used Agent since it became a
commercial product--version 1.something. That goes back to win31,
wfwg and dialup. I purchased Agen8 to replace v1.92, running under
Win xp, when I acquired a more competent computer and "upgraded" to
Windows 10. Both have been disappoinments: Windows, because the
interface has been dumbed down, presumably for semi-literate persons
while Agent has, IMO, become needlessly complex to configure and to
use and is demonstrably unreliabe in day-to-day use. For example:
Entire messages simply disappear into nothingness or are replaced by
gibberrish and the fine Fortefolks have been aware of this behavior
for at least four years. I'm back to v.1.9 on the xp dog because it
still works; it's just old and slow, thats all. Plus it doesn't ring
that annoying bell....
Peninsular Florida
Arthur T.
2021-05-20 23:09:11 UTC
Post by d***@invalid.net
I'm back to v.1.9 on the xp dog because it
still works; it's just old and slow, thats all.
1.93 works fine on Win10, if that would be easier for you. I needed
to "upgrade" to 10 because none of the browsers that supported the
old OSes also supported the new security protocols.
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com
The Horny Goat
2021-05-22 14:10:44 UTC
On Thu, 20 May 2021 07:45:16 -0500, Puffer Belly
Post by Puffer Belly
I've used Agent for 15 years, always the newest version at the time. and
Agent has been very reliable for binary and text newsgroups. I do find
it hard to imagine why anyone would use it for email, though. If a
newsgroup reader is what anyone wants, Agent is a good choice, but do
not use it for posting binary files as there are better tools that are
free for that purpose.
I've used it since version 1.1 (e.g. more than 15 years) and concur
with everything you've said both pro and con.
n***@nada.com
2021-06-29 03:14:53 UTC
Post by Puffer Belly
I've used Agent for 15 years, always the newest version at the time. and
Agent has been very reliable for binary and text newsgroups. I do find
it hard to imagine why anyone would use it for email, though. If a
newsgroup reader is what anyone wants, Agent is a good choice, but do
not use it for posting binary files as there are better tools that are
free for that purpose.
No accounting for taste. I pretty much use Agent mostly for email, as
well as for text usenet Let's you preview in plain text and hasn
excellent massage management tools. For usenet binaries , I have
found better tools that Agent.